Sunday, March 6, 2011

Stromboli!

I was talking to Boo (my grandma) on the phone when I was making this and told her that I would write a post about it. So, here it is!

It was SO yummy! And fairly easy too! I get apprehensive about making dough (waiting for it to rise and mixing the gooey mixture annoys me), but the pizza dough was very easy to make and handle. This entree made this family very happy!


I'm not certain that I folded this correctly, but it worked!





Okay, so here is the recipe! (again, from the cookbook, America's Best Church Supper Recipes)

Sausage Stromboli

- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup warm water (110 degrees to 115 degrees)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- Dash pepper
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 3 tablespoons whipped chive and onion cream cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- Fennel seed

In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in water; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the oil, 1/8 teaspoon of salt and 2 cups of flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.

Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomato sauce, green pepper, garlic, Italian seasoning, pepper and remaining salt; set aside. Punch dough down. On a large greased baking sheet, roll dough into an 18-in. x 12-in. oval. Spread sausage mixture lengthwise down the center.

Combine the sour cream and cream cheese; spread over sausage mixture. Sprinkle with cheeses. Fold one long side of dough over filling. Fold other long side over the top, pinch seam and ends to seal. With a sharp knife, cut slits in top of dough. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.

Brush top with egg white; sprinkle fennel seed. Bake at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.

Yield: 12 servings.

As always, I didn't add onion or pepper, and I substituted green peppers for red.






A few thoughts after making this:

1. My dad should have stayed for dinner ;)
2. Stromboli is a really fun word to say (especially with an Italian accent).
3. It was almost exhausting writing out all of the ingredients in this recipe ;)

2 comments:

  1. Yum!! This looks soooo good. I love stromboli. I'll definitely have to try this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh My my my. I HAVE to try this. Anyway you could copy and paste the recipe in an email to me?

    ReplyDelete