Thursday, September 1, 2011

Honey Bun Cake

I got into the baking mood this last weekend. I thought it would be fun to let Tali help me make make this Honey Bun Cake, which means she stirs or pours in ingredients after I measure it out. It did get stressful for me at times, like when she stirred the ingredients too strongly and a good portion of the contents flew out onto the table. Those are the times when I get to really practice patience.

If you like cinnamon buns, you'll LOVE this cake! I don't even really like cinnamon buns, but this cake might make me a believer....in liking a cake form of cinnamon buns? (Didn't really know how to portray my feelings in that sentence) Okay, I'll share the recipe.


Honey Bun Cake

- 1 package (18-1/4 ounces) yellow or white cake mix
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract


In a large mixing bowl, combine dry cake mix, egg whites, sour cream and applesauce. Beat on low speed until moistened. Beat on medium for 2 minutes.
Pour half into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking pan. Combine brown sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over batter. Cover with remaining batter; cut through with a knife to swirl. Bake at 325 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
For glaze, combine confectioners' sugar, milk and vanilla until smooth; drizzle over warm cake.

Yield: 20 servings.



YAY! Super easy, right? And I already had most of the ingredients on hand! Awesome. My sister noticed that there is no honey in this recipe. Maybe it should just be called, Cinnamon Bun Cake. We meant to share this with our neighbors, but it was gone in two days. Sorry, neighbors.

No comments:

Post a Comment