Thursday, October 14, 2010

Root Beer Cookies

If you like Root Beer, you'll love these! Here's the recipe I used to make these cookies for my husband's birthday:















1 cup butter, softened
2 cups packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
3/4 teaspoon root beer concentrate or extract
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 cups chopped pecans

Frosting:
3-1/2 cups confectioner' sugar
3/4 cup butter, softened
3 tablespoons water
1-1/4 teaspoon root beer concentrate or extract

In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and brown sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in buttermilk and root beer concentrate. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in pecans.

Drop by tablespoonfuls 3 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. In a mixing bowl, combine frosting ingredients; beat until smooth. Frost cooled cookies.

Yeild: about 6 dozen


I didn't add the pecans to my batch and I added a little more root beer extract to mine for a stronger flavor. Plus the size of my cookies are about twice as big as what they recommend in the recipe. Hope you love them!

This recipe is in America's Best Church Supper Recipes. I talked about that cook book in an
earlier post, Ramblings About a Cookbook.

(Mine aren't as pretty as the ones pictured in the cookbook, but still yummy!)

2 comments:

  1. These look so fun!! Does James love root beer? Is that why you made them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made these a while back and James LOVED them and has been asking me to make them again since then! I kinda like root beer, but I had a hard time leaving them alone!

    ReplyDelete